Georgia Civil War Commission Art Contest 2019-20
Topic: Naval Action in the Civil War along Georgia’s Coast
Resources: National Civil War Naval Museum, Columbus, GA
K through 2nd Grade; 3rd through 5th Grade; 6th through 8th Grade; 9th through 12th Grade
Prizes per Category
1st Place—$200 cash prize
2nd Place—$150 cash prize
3rd Place- $100 cash prize
Winning artwork will be published during the month of April on the Georgia Civil War Commission FaceBook page and featured in a calendar with only the name of the student provided. All entries will receive a certificate of participation.
- Contest is open to all students in Georgia, Kindergarten through 12th grade, public, private or homeschool.
- The student may use his/ her imagination to create a unique image of a naval action that took place in the American Civil along Georgia’s coast. The artwork must be completely original hand-done artwork. No tracing, photography, or computer-generated artwork is allowed. Wet and dry mediums are welcome. Flat, two-dimensional artwork less than ¼” thick, no sculpture or other 3D aspects. The artwork cannot exceed 12×12.
- A short description of the artwork MUST be included with the entry or the entry is disqualified.
- The entry must be appropriate for all age groups, not offensive or derogatory.
- Each entry MUST provide name of student, grade, teacher’s name, name of school, parent’s name, mailing address, parent’s email, parent’s contact number, teacher contact number, and teacher email address that is printed and legible.
- A student may only submit one entry.
- Failure to abide by these rules will disqualify the student’s artwork.
- All artwork must be postmarked on or before February 12, 2020 to be considered. Winners will be announced on April 1, 2020.
- Mail all entries to 409 Airport Road, Suite 101, Griffin, GA 30224. Do not fold or bend the artwork. Questions and inquiries can be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org
All artwork become the property of the Georgia Civil War Commission and may not be returned. A committee of judges will be given the artwork to score. Artwork will be judged for creativity, clarity, and strength of message. The highest total in each category will win first place. Any family member of a Commissioner is not eligible to compete. In the event of a tie, the judges will re-evaluate until the tie is broken.