Georgia Civil War Commission’s Field Trip Fund
Apply for funding:
The State of Georgia has sights, sounds, and stories about the Civil War that cannot be found anywhere else. With the plethora of places to visit, the entire state is a field trip mecca; however, for many classrooms, the cost of visiting even local sites makes a trip prohibitive. The Georgia Civil War Commission’s Field Trip Fund provides funding and assistance to K-12 classes, school club students, and homeschoolers, that would allow students and teachers/ chaperones to visit Civil War sites within the State of Georgia.
How it works:
Rules & guidelines:
- To apply for funding, complete a Field Trip Fund Application Form and email it to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- The GCWC will review your application and respond with a proposal, which could include the full amount requested or partial funding of your field trip.
- Go allow your students to learn though a hands-on approach as you enjoy your field trip, but remember to keep your receipts, take lots of photos, and record a thank you video of the students while on the field trip. Once you return, complete a Field Trip Reimbursement Form (need to create). Email these items to the Chief of Staff of the GCWC so that your reimbursement can be mailed.
- The GCWC Field Trip Fund is designed to bring K-12 classes, school clubs, and homeschool students to sites specifically pertaining to the War between the States. There must be a minimum of 12 students on the field trip.
- The following items can be covered by the Field Trip Fund: transportation and admission fees.
- The following items will NOT be covered by the Field Trip Fund: Visits to sites, museums, presentations, etc. that only vaguely refer to the Civil War, souvenir purchases, overnight lodgings, luxury options.
- Every application that is submitted will not be approved. Approved trip reimbursement will not exceed $250 per group per fiscal year.
- The Field Trip Fund is designed to help offset field trip costs for K-12 classes, school clubs and homeschoolers; it is not designed to fully fund all the expenses of a field trip.
- The Field Trip Fund will only fund a field trip for a class, school club or homeschool group, per school year.
- Classes that receive a grant in the current school year, may not be eligible for a grant in the next school year.
- You must apply for field trip funding at least one month prior to the next GCWC Quarterly Meeting.
- All trips must be PREAPPROVED by the GCWC to receive funding.
- Funding may be revoked by the GCWC at any time for the following reason(s): post-approval trip date change, post-approval destination change(s), number of participants change, not providing receipts in a timely and efficient manner, falsified receipts, no trip receipts, excessive fees, class not fulfilling their required photo, video, and thank you note requirements.
- The Field Trip Fund program requires you to submit at least seven (7) photos from your trip, a 30-second thank you video, and at least six (6) thank you notes from your students. Field trips will not be funded without such a commitment.
Our decision-making process for funding and approvals are impacted by the following, and others:
- Class, club, or homeschool co-op’s financial needs
- Number of student participating in said field trip
- Number of field trips funded previously for the school, club or homeschool group
- The frequency of other approved field trips to a specific battlefield, museum, and other historic site destinations
- Confidence of teacher’s plans
- Civil War-centric experiences
- Planned activities while on the field trip
Georgia Civil War Commission Field Trip Fund FAQs
Who is eligible to apply for the Field Trip Fund?
- All K-12 classes, school clubs, and homeschool groups with 12 or more students.
I want to take a school club on a field trip, can I apply for funding?
- Yes, we will consider field trips conducted by school clubs.
Is there a deadline for applying to the Field Trip Fund?
- Yes, funding applications must be submitted at least one month prior to the next GCWC Quarterly Meeting. Contact Chief of Staff for the next meeting date.
I don’t know the dates or locations of my field trip, should I apply to the Field Trip Fund anyhow?
- No, we will automatically reject your application and suggest you reapply when you have the information.
I want to take a field trip to a Civil War site outside of Georgia. Will my trip be funded?
- No, only field trips within the state of Georgia will be considered.
My school received funding through the Field Trip Fund over the prior 12-18 months, may we still apply?
- Yes, please consider that the number of field trips previously funded by the GCWC for the class or homeschool co-op will be taken into consideration as we review the application.
May I apply to fund a field trip already taken?
- No, all field trips must be approved by the GCWC.
What should I include on the application?
- Answer all the questions honestly and completely. We will confirm the information provided and any false information will automatically disqualify your application.
How long will it take to receive an answer about my application?
- All applications will be reviewed, and an answer provided at the next Quarterly Meeting of the GCWC.
How much funding should I expect to receive from the GCWC?
- The reimbursement amount will not exceed $250.
I want to take my class to see an historical movie, play, or musical; will the Field Trip fund cover that?
I want to take my class to a site associated with the World Wars; will the Georgia Civil War Commission fund a trip like that?
I want to take my class to a non-Civil War. Will you still provide funding?
- No, the purpose of the fund is to send students to places related to the American Civil War.
Will you provide funding for a field trip to a Civil War reenactment?
- No, due to insurance liability issues and the use of live firearms, we will not provide funding for trips to any reenactments.
Will the Field Trip Fund pay for souvenirs, overnight hotel stays, luxury travel options, etc.?
- No, the GCWC reserves the right to withhold reimbursement for luxury items, souvenirs, overnight hotel stays, etc.
What will the Field Trip Fund reimbursement fund?
- The following items can be covered by the Field Trip Fund: transportation, admission fees, and reasonable presenter/guide fees.
How long does it take to receive my reimbursement?
- Reimbursement is dependent on each teacher. It is up to you to submit all of the necessary forms, receipts, thank you cards, etc. to the GCWC. Once we have all this information, in good order, it normally takes 14 business days for you to receive your reimbursement.
We are strapped for cash. Will the GCWC provide me with funds prior to my field trip?
- Absolutely not. All funds will be dispersed AFTER the completion of your field trip, and the submission of all necessary forms, receipts, thank you cards, etc.
I didn’t get any pictures, videos, or thank you cards; will my class still be reimbursed for our trip.
We went on our field trip but did not visit any of the sites we were approved to go to by the GCWC. Are we still eligible for reimbursement?
- No, the GCWC expects you to visit the sites that you provided on you Field Trip Fund application, on the dates provided. If aspects of your trip change at any time, please contact the GCWC as soon as possible.
Please Note: Funding may be revoked by the GCWC at any time for the following reason(s): post-approval trip date change, post-approval destination changes, falsified receipts, excessive guide fees, class/teacher not fulfilling their required photo, video, and thank you note requirements.