In 1905, Georgia Gov. Joseph Terrell announced that the U.S. War Department had returned twenty-six Civil War flags to Georgia. He requested state funds to preserve the collection. In 1916, the General Assembly mandated that the flags from the Civil War and Spanish American War “be preserved for all time in the Capitol of the State.” The law required the governor to accept “any such flag . . . offered to the State” and “to make such provision for its preservation as may be necessary. . . .” Thus began the Georgia Capitol flag collection, which can be viewed in this Virtual Vault.
Georgia Military Units
Most units were numbered, however, some were named. See the table in the link for lists of the regiments, battalions, batteries, and other units. The information in the lists of Georgia Military Units comes from the Civil War Soldiers and Sailors web site. That web site also can be searched by the name of a soldier.